Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Versus CVS Versus Subversoin

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Versus CVS Versus Subversoin
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:25:07 -0600

Andrew Suffield wrote:
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:09:30PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:

[...]

The difference in space consumed is not all that large for typical
applications. It's not a big deal. As always, nobody cares about it
enough to bother to implement it. Including you.

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier. *I* am fine with how arch does it. I agree that it isn't that big of a deal (I believe I've stated this). I think storing 2 copies of the file is a little expensive, but I perfectly understand why. It goes back to the idea that a single changeset is useful. If you don't store everything, then you need history, or something external.

I understand why, and I certainly don't care to change it.

*However* the original poster was asking if we do "binary diff like Subversion", and SVN's claim to fame is that they do delta compression on binary files.

So when you responded with "yes we do, it works perfectly the same as SVN." You were incorrect.

Actually, as far as stating that it should be called delta compression instead of binary diff goes against what I would consider the popular terminology. This is the first time I've heard it called delta compression, and though technically correct, it isn't commonly used. While I certainly will try to improve my usage, when someone asks about it, I would bet that 90% of the time they mean delta instead of diff. 99.999% if they are also mentioning SVN at the same time.

To hopefully change topic slightly, does anyone know of a SCM that *doesn't* at least do something with binary files? I guess I read something that RCS had to uuencode and do a textual diff on the file. Do any of the modern ones fail to at least create full copies of the file?

John
=:->