[Gnu-arch-users] figuring out missing patches from base branch

From: martin f krafft
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] figuring out missing patches from base branch
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:40:20 +0200

Consider a category foobar with two branches: foobar--base and
foobar--devo.

I have branched foobar--devo--0 off foobar--base--0--patch-3. Now
patch-4 has been committed to foobar--base--0, but I have not
updated the devo branch.

I have thus a couple of questions:

  1. Why does `tla missing` or `baz missing` against foobar--devo--0
     not show that the patch-4 has not yet been applied?

  2. What command can I use to identify new patches in base
     branches, which have not yet been applied? I.e. I am looking
     for a command to be run in the devo tree which will say
     'patch-4'.

  3. What command can I use to list all the patches that have been
     merged locally? `baz merges` lists patch-4, which has not been
     applied yet, and that is weird. `baz new-merges` lists those
     that have been applied since the last commit. How can I list
     all patches that have been applied locally? I.e., I am looking
     for a command that outputs something like ancestry, but with
     the complete history of patches from the base branch. E.g.:

       address@hidden
         foobar--devo--0
           patch-2 ... base-0
         foobar--main--0
           patch-3 ... base-0

  4. What command can I use to bring the branch up to date? `baz
     replay` claims that the tree is up to date, and `baz merge`
     also does not seem to care about patch-4. In order to integrate
     patch-4, I have to specify `baz replay foobar--main--0`
     explicitly. Why? If a tree consists of multiple branches
     merged, it makes sense to be able to specify the source version
     for a single replay. However, if that has not been specified,
     shouldn't replay just update all? I.e. I am looking for
     a command that I can run, which pulls in all changes from
     related branches automatically without requiring me to remember
     all the branches and/or iterate over them.

  5. How can I remove a patch? Say I did `baz replay
     foobar--main--0` and thus pulled in patch-4, how can I revert
     the local tree to foobar--main--0--patch-3 ?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; address@hidden

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!
spamtraps: address@hidden

it has been said that there are only two businesses
that refer to customers as users:
illegal drug trade and the computer industry.