[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `

From: John A Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `git'
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:23:15 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:

D'oh.

Linus is moving to checksumming *before* rather than *after* compression.

I'm not sure that's a great idea but, should it stick, my challenge
is accordingly modified.

-t

What about doing both? Have the official address be the
"SHA(original),SIZE(orig)", but in the metadata keep the SHA and size
for both the compressed and the original.

This allows you to validate the contents without decompression.
Actually, I would argue that you should have the "compressed" hash be a
concatenation of the uncompressed hash and the compressed data. That way
you gain a little bit of tying between the decompressed hash and the
compressed one.

It means there would be a "validate_blob_db" and a
"really_validate_blob_db", where the first wouldn't have to decompress,
and the second one would.

The first one is 99.999% good enough.

John
=:->