[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Status of google chrome and chromium

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Status of google chrome and chromium
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:47:52 -0500

A.J. Venter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>    The extension site doesn't give any
>>    indication of the license of any particular extension
>>    (https://chrome.google.com/extensions). So unless there is some sort
>>    of requirement by google that only free extensions go there, it's a
>>    possible problem for free distros.
>>
>> We might want to raise this issue with Google
>> and ask them to post only free extensions.
>
> Worth a try  - it would make it quite a bit easier there. Just to
> answer the other question - yes it is directly referenced, on the
> extensions management tool this page is linked as a source for getting
> new extensions.
>
> On the plugin side, there is also a catch - I can find no way to make
> chromium use gnash or libsfw - but it seems to be able to import adobe
> flash from firefox if it's there... so we have a browser that seems to
> only support the non-free flash plugin, I will
> do some more checking though - I may just be missing the methodology.

My friend emax mentioned in another context that they actually have a
much-nicer-looking-than-mozilla plugin architecture, but that it's still
betaish / not well doc'ed well yet. cc:ing him if he cares to expound.

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny