Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Sources (was: Incoming Distros at libreplanet)

From: Matias A. Fonzo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Sources (was: Incoming Distros at libreplanet)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:19:34 -0300 (ART)

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:56:34 GMT
> address@hidden (Karl Berry) wrote:
>
>> After the recent
>> mail, I also added another check for GNU webmasters to make -- that the
>> sources are readily available.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Speaking of - what did it actually mean "that the sources are readily
> available"?
>
> Did it mean that a project must actually host the sources of all contents
> of the distro (including sources of Linux, GNU, Xorg, GNOME, KDE, etc.)?
> This would mean a considerable amount of resources must be spent for that,
>  which could be a problem for small projects.
>
> Or would it be enough for the project to host just their own sources plus
> a building mechanism which fetch the sources from their primary locations
> (e. g. from
> ftp.gnu.org for GNU)? That's what many distros with a ports-like system do
> (like Parabola and ConnochaetOS).
>
> I know little about how other free distros handle this situation.
> Gnewsense and Trisquel as Debian based distros have the sources in their
> repository and I think BLAG offers source-RPMs.
> But I wasn't, for example, able to locate sources from dyne:bolic and
> Dragora (I didn't search very hard, though).

The sources of Dragora is available via the (public) Mercurial repository:

https://trac.usla.org.ar/hg/Dragora
https://trac.usla.org.ar/hg/Dragora/file/e53da37613b6

I distribute local copies of original sources with a manifest of all the
sources and packages. Using lzip[1] for the small size.

[1] http://lzip.nongnu.org

Regards,
Matias