Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:11:51 -0500

On 20/08/11 04:52, Henry Jensen wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:03:48 +0000
Ineiev<address@hidden>  wrote:

Anyway, I think this discussion is a little off-topic on this list.
It is being discussed whether a free distribution may want to represent itself
as Open Source.
I think there is a misunderstanding. ConnochaetOS, as far as I as the
maintainer can stand for it, represents itself explicitly as Free
Software.

However, I am not alone and there are people who help the project,
especially in the forum by answering questions from  users and doing
some documentation in the wiki. They feel obligated to free software.
But they may use sometimes wordings that may look unfortunate by some
other people in the Free Software Community.

This is how we came here. Now, there are some points that should be
clarified:

1. The Free System Distribution Guidelines doesn't require to use or to
avoid explicit wordings. It requires that a free distro "must take care
not to recommend nonfree software." The FSDG covers content of a free
distros documentation, but there is no prescribed terminology. If I am
mistaken, please correct me.

If we use terminology that promotes the ideas of people that do not value freedom, we promote their ideas and not ours. Please consider that.

2. In the explicit case it is discussed if it is okay, if some members
of a free distro use the term "open source" in its documentation. I had
a discussion with a representative of the FSFE about this matter, and
the FSFEs summarized point of view is "We prefer the term "free
software", but if you say "open source" it is fine with us, because it
is the same thing". So, from the FSFEs point of view there should be no
problem.

Richard said he is discussing this issue with FSFE. FSF does not support that position. In fact, FSF regards opensource software as something good but the opensource ideas as bad. It sounds contradictory but it isn't because some of what they do agrees with what we do but not all so the terms are not interchangeable.

I myself see this matter a little more severe. I think the term "free
software" should be used, and I correct wordings occasionally. But
since many new users are involved and the community is growing I can't
control every sentence they write. What's more: In a hypothetical
discussion in our community about this issue, a member who uses the
term "open source" can always refer to the FSFE and say "Hey, the FSFE
said, it is okay when I say "open source"". Since 90 percent of our
community is living in Europe that would be a reasonable point and one
could hardly argue against that.

Please get an official written statement from FSFE stating that. It would clear up things for all of us.
Regards,

Henry

Great work!

--
Quiliro Ordóñez

"No se puede sacrificar la libertad por ningún bien, por ninguna promesa de pan o de paz o de justicia, porque ese pan tendría amargura de veneno, esa paz sería de muerte, y esa justicia no sería justicia humana ni tendría sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero

"Não se pode sacrificar a liberdade por nenhum bem, por nenhuma promessa de pan ou de paz ou de justiça, porque esse pan teria amargura de veneno, essa paz seria de morte, e essa justiça não seria justiça humana nem faria sentido." Alfredo Pérez Guerrero