Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 18:22:57 +0200

Hi all (I'm CTO of Purism)

On 06/09/2016 02:57 PM, Riley Baird wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:35:24 +0300
> fr33domlover <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 16:34:27 -0700
>> "Adrian Alves" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello FSF,
>>>
>>> We are Puri.sm our gnu/linux  PureOS is a free based debian distro,
>>> can you guys review it.
>>> We not only use Free software without any "contrib" or "non-free"
>>> software also our kernel is deblob'd
>>> We offer PureOS together with our laptops and also to any people who
>>> wants to use it:
>>>
>>> links
>>> our main website:
>>> https://puri.sm/
>>> our Pureos webtiste:
>>> https://puri.sm/pureos/
>>> ISOs:
>>> http://repo.puri.sm/pureosrepo/iso/PureOS-3.0-Desktop-gnome.iso
>>>
>>> also "contrib" and "nonfree" repo are not only removed from the ISO
>>> also they are removed from our repos
>>>
>>> Please can you review it and let us know?
>>> Thanks, Adrian.-
>>>
>> Just a thought:
>>
>> gNewSense is based on Debian too, and it seems to do much much more work than
>> just drop the nonfree repos (same for Trisquel with its base distro ubun7u).
>> don't know the details, but I do wonder whether just dropping repos and
>> using a
>> libre kernel is enough. Maybe it is, and then I wonder why gNewSense does all
>> that other work. If that work is needed, you puri.sm people should probably
>> do
>> the same thing...
> I think that that should be enough. If I'm looking for a libre distro, I want
> the widest range of choices possible.

We are still small team but finally we are getting pace on the work. We
are based on Debian testing main archive and while there still aren't
big changes we do preinstall Tor browser and have PureBrowser (which is
currently a bit broken but the work on it is undergoing - it will be
Firefox with preinstalled extensions). There is few things that we
discuss for us on the road and we are also preparing infrastructure to
better handle changes and scale: among some things, we will probably
default to Calamares installer, discussing Wayland as default with our
next release, starting to create live builds, we also plan to develop
Purist services which will be integrated with PureOS and at some point
we will start working on kernel optimizations specifically tailored
towards our hardware (although PureOS will be generic so anyone can use
it on their own hardware).

Director of Technology @Purism