Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre last chance comments

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre last chance comments
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 22:41:12 +0100

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 06:14:27PM -0300, Matias Fonzo wrote:
> "Popular" based on what?.  This could induce to the possible interested
> person in make believe that a distribution is better than another, and
> also leave the suspicious that the people behind the FSF or GNU is
> manipulating the ranking in favor of a specific distribution.
>
> This sucks, simple because not all the listed distributions have been
> built to win a popularity contest ...

Yes, that is how I mean it that some distributions
are more popular over others and may be thus
easier accessible or easier installable or
providing more packages or more opportunities for
the new users.

There is no information or comparison on the
distribution page. That may prevent new users to
understand which distribution is better for them
on long term.

I don't see nothing wrong in asking public, GNU
users to express themselves in a poll which
distribution is used more over the other. Surveys
are classic methods to find out what public needs
and wants.

Sure not all distributions are there to win
popularity and have their specific purposes.

No need to think negatively, like what would
somebody think, come on...

So far we have the list of variety of
distributions. But not the number of downloads of
each and not any information about their
distribution in the world, usage or areas of
usage.