Re: As the GPL fades

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: As the GPL fades
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:24:11 +0100

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> Rubbish.  People have been predicting the death of the GPL for 20 years, and
> in 20 years time they'll still be predictig its death.

Hey Ciaran, any chance that "FreeBooteR" is your nick at
the451group.com?

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/01/28/as-the-gpl-fades/

"Comment by FreeBooteR, January 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Hate freedom much? The GPL is strong and growing and will always be
there to free people from the tyranny of proprietary licencing.

 Comment by Jay Lyman, January 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Consider reality much? As stated in the post, GPL is strong and will
endure as a top open source license, but it won’t be number one for
long. Those other licenses, BTW, are ironically and accurately known as
‘permissive,’ while the ‘tyranny’-busting GPL is widely and accurately
known as ‘restrictive.’

JL

There are a few examples of movement away from GPL. And where exactly
did we mention anything about ‘doomed to oblivion.’ If I can quote
myself
‘Given its clout, durability and continued popularity in commercial open
source (and with help from continued growth of GPL-licensed Linux) we
believe the GPL will endure as a top open source license.’
Sooo sensationalist ...

JL

‘As the GPL fades ...’ seems like a fairly accurate description of how I
believe the GPL is fading. It’s not doomed. It’s not going away. But it
is fading from its prominence as the top open source license. I don’t
necessarily agree the GPL suits should drive anyone away from GPL and I
think they do more to raise awareness and credibility for open source,
but the effect will undoubtedly be to spur some to avoid the perceived
trouble.

JL"

regards,
alexander.