Re: As the GPL fades

From: Erik Funkenbusch
Subject: Re: As the GPL fades
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 12:50:04 -0600

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:50:26 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
>> http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/01/28/as-the-gpl-fades/
>>
>> ------
>> As the GPL fades
>>
>> Jay Lyman, January 28, 2010 @ 3:17 pm ET
>>
>> We’re continuing to see signs that the dominant GPL open source license
>> may be fading from favor among commercial open source software players.
>
> Freshmeat:
>
> Licenses
>
>       GPL (20985)
>       LGPL (3245)
>       BSD Revised (1477)
>       GPLv3 (1422)
>       BSD Original (1405)
>       GPLv2 (1363)
>       Freeware (1262)
>       MIT/X (1009)
>       Apache 2.0 (637)
>       Public Domain (605)
>       Artistic (565)
>       Other (496)
> [...]
>
> That's not exactly "fading" in my book.

Who's to say that Freshmeat's license count is kept up to date, but let's
assume it is.  By my count, that's  more than 10,000 non-GPL licenses.  And
since you don't list the counts from, say a year ago, we have no way of
knowing if the overall ratio of GPL to non-GPL has gone down or up.

So your post doesn't really say anything.