Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:02:57 -0000

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > [...]
> >> I do understand the objection; in Germany, I'm required to pay for a
> >> radio license on account of possessing a net-connected computer.
> >
> > The point is that neither GEZ broadcast fee nor GEMA fee on empty media
> > (and other things) replace the system of copyrights and capitalist
> > market of exclusive rights in intangibles. GEZ/GEMA fee payer gets *NO*
> > rights reserved to copyright owners in exchange for paying a fee at
> > all.
>
> Making private copies of broadcast recordings is legal in Germany.

Yes because it is not an exclusive right, silly. This exemption is
actually why GEMA successfully lobbied the law makers to impose a GEMA
fee on empty media (and other things). The argument was that since GEMA
is a licensing agent regarding the biggest chunk of works broadcasted in
Germany and folks are making private copies of them and it is very had
to police that the use is really private (make sure that folks don't
exchange private copies) it is unfair not to be compensated for private
copying. The solution was to impose a fee on empty media (media for
making private copies) and other things such as iPods with GEMA-fee
providing additional income to GEMA.

regards,
alexander.

--