Re: SSPL or server side public license, GNU better update the AGPL

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: SSPL or server side public license, GNU better update the AGPL
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:54:06 +0100

* Jean Louis:

> That is right, that is where should AGPL maybe be updated.
>
> We know from GPL that when there is some software that depends on GPL
> software, then such has to be issued under GPL as well. Those could be
> some modules, even if distributed separately they may form a part of
> the whole.

But the GPL makes an exception for code in the “System Library”
category.  Service infrastructure is similar to that.

Maybe the System Library exception is outdated.  But I think the GNU
project considers outreach to people using proprietary software
important, and redistributable binaries need that System Library
exception.