Re: Evolution of thought on composing with Lily

From: Werner Icking
Subject: Re: Evolution of thought on composing with Lily
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:06:29 +0100 (MET)

> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:08:36 +0100

> [...] One way to
> make a combined GUI/command editor, is to hook up the backend with X,
> and do on-demand rendering of parts of music: If the format of the
> music satisfies some basic constraints (eg. measure synchronisation so
> the entire score is not changed when a single note is inserted), it
> might be possible to just take a snippet of LilyPond input from
> halfway the piece, and render it to screen in a short timespan. [...]

Up to this point you describe exactly how I typeset music. So I did
it in the last weeks with 50 Variations by Tartini; so I did it
with my edition of Bach's Kunst der Fuge. After developing single
variations or a few bars of a Contrapunctus interactively I lateron
look how to combine the parts into the whole - either as one
TeX-source or many TeX-sources controlled by another TeX-source
or using dviconcat or ps2ps or ...

> (Now, if someone would want to pay my salary for a year or two ...
> :-)

I'm waiting for that since many many years :-(

But in a few days is XMAS! Maybe Santa Claas will help?   -- Werner