Script oddities

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Script oddities
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:40:27 +0200

[follow-up to address@hidden

address@hidden writes:
> I'm working on the addition of a number of baroque ornaments,
> as requested by Jérémie, and found a couple of problems in
> the current support of ornaments and other scripts.
>
> - You can not get the same script both above and below one and
>   the same note. For example, if you try c^\fermata_\fermata,
>   you only get the upper fermata, not the lower one. Two different
>   scripts on the same note works fine. What's the idea behind
>   this behaviour, or is it just a bug?

it is caused by the equal_b() calls in Script_engraver::try_music.
This was an old idea of mine for combining parts (long before we had a
part combiner) -- the idea was to specify a script in both parts,
which would should only print one when the parts were merged.

However -- I still think it is a logical thing to do: having two the
same articulations on a note doesn't make sense to me, musically
speaking. If you're into hacks, you might as well make a second,
different script that uses a different articulation-type (\script
argument)

> - I know that the support for scriptHorizontal is supposed to be
>   very primitive, but I dare complain anyway. If you do,
>   \property Voice.scriptHorizontal = ##t
>   c^- c_-
>   the result is unsymmetrical, the script on the right hand side
>   is fairly distant from the note head whereas the left hand side
>   script almost collides with the note head.

Interesting. I'm looking (recompiling) as we speak