Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the linux kernel is going.
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 09:11:23 +0100

* Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> [2019-11-15 07:33]:
> I didn't deride anyone. I'm telling a fact: young people choose whatever
> they like to do, and they do it with all efforts just because they like
> it.

That is right, only that I would not say young people. In fact I find
young people often less motivated, it is more exceptional to find
younger people doing more what they want than people with some more
years in life.

In software development we find many of those exceptional young
people. In their own life environments their works are probably not
even recognized or appreciated. They are more appreciated online.

Majority of young people are lost by various propaganda and cultural
brainwashing, many of them get rid of limitations when they become 30,
or 40 years old and later.

In general, people motivated by enthusiasm and pure interest may
achieve much more, including achieving financial success then those
who are purely motivated by money, which is the lowest motivation
there is.

Truly motivated people will do what they want, how they want it, how
they like it.

> For the diversity, we never know if there're any youngmen group love to
> create a new FOSS operating system, no matter if it's the requirement
> from the market.

There are many free kernels and free software today, the pure interest
to create new software along with the GNU GPL and free software
movement, can drive the development of free software in future.

But there is obviously a problem of the future of the free software
philosophy. Free software is not same as free software philosophy.

Majority of free software developed today carries free software
philosophy principles with it, but people are not driving it forward
or teaching other people, just smaller group of free software users
would ever make speeches, teach others, or create groups to drive and
foster free software philosophy.

There is high risk that what we know as free software movement over
the future decades gets totally corrupted into "open source" type of
movement and even "open source" to get corrupted into various new
perverted licenses and traps in the future.

Even the abbreviation FOSS is one way of how it gets astray, I would
not use it, and rather promote free software philosophy as strategy
for future. One has to promote how to distinguish between free
software and open source. Those are quite different directions, one
carries the motivation of freedom, while other does perverts it and
hides it.

> address@hidden writes:
>
> > It is very simple: when you deride a group of people that do the
> > work you want done: they become unwilling to help you. Eben Moglen
> > is publicly deriding the men who did the programming work. They
> > will not continue doing it since it is simply used against them.

In my understanding that was not the point of the talk. The point was
that it is hard to rely on those new younger generations to carry
forward the free software philosophy into the future.

I have duplicated the video of Eben Moglen and it is here to be
downloaded 150+ M, under CC-BY-SA 3.0., from Software Freedom Law
Center:
https://gnu.support/files/moglen/2019/Eben-Moglen-The-Future-of-the-Free-Software-Movement-SFLC-Fall-2019.mkv

What I understand is that Eben Moglen is worried of the future of the
free software movement, and I agree. I think he is subtly referring to
exactly those latest importances for "political correctness" in
society and he is envisioning or planning teaching projects so that
free software movement may continue into future.

To generalize it more, I would be very worried for free software
philosophy to be relied upon the new generation of young
programmers. They are not well educated in other subjects but
programming, and are not carrying the right motivation to the
future. And I speak of motivation for the free software philosophy
and understanding of entrapments.

One thing is to like to program and produce the software. Quite other
thing is to understand the underlying principles of freedom in society
and foster such.

Jean