Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the linux kernel is going.
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 09:41:17 +0100

* Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> [2019-11-14 06:21]:

>    Le mercredi 13 novembre 2019, 19:23:43 CET Kete via Discussions about the
>    development of the GNU system a écrit :
>    > I disagree that they betrayed RMS. I still like the Guix contributors,
>    > probably even more now. Your systemd statement is confusing because they
>    > made their own service program called shepherd.
>
>    To be precise, GNU Shepherd is the continuation of an old init software
>    originally called GNU DMD, written in Scheme, that was intended to provide
>    init system to the Hurd before Guix and systemd existed (and happened to
>    already provide some of the best features of systemd (like dependency
>    graph, parallelism, etc.)
>
> GNU dmd was never intended for the Hurd, it was far more general in
> spirit.  One of the goals was that each user should be able to manage
> daemons, and give back some of the closed garden that is the init
> system.

> I also don't think that shepherd is a better name, dmd far better
> describes the intent Wolfgang and I had when we wrote and designed it.
> Infact, most of the commands now make little sense...

Alright, Shepherd changed and became Guix specific software. Maybe
they will make it better. One thing about Shepherd is that it is
lacking some justification. There are already good ways to start/stop
daemons, I don't know what shepherd is bringing other than that it is
GNU project. In my opinion it has been adopted for Guix only for being
GNU and Guile based project. Probably it was not Guile before.

In case of the service manager I would rather like to see technical
advantages over some others.

GNU project has one other program invocation and execution supervisor,
that is pies: