Re: [open-cobol-list] problem

From: Gary Cowell
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] problem
Date: Mon Aug 22 07:53:06 2005

> Hi,
>
> I am a newer Linux user. I try install and run
> OpenCobol. Well, I write a simple program Hello and
> compiled it with OpenCobol but when I try run the
> application It shows the follow error message:
> "./hello: error while loading shared libraries:
> libcob.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory".
>
> I was think which problem with PATH environment
> variable, but isn't.

Close. You need the directory containing libcob.so.1
to be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Try export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/path/to/directory_containing_libcob

You might have a different version number on your
libcob, but it will be called libcob.so.(something).

I don't know if you built the open-cobol from source
or not, but if you did you would have done:

./configure
make
make install

or something similar - by default it would have put
libcob.so.1 into /usr/local/lib

In the above case you would

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

> thanks
> Valery Giscard
>
> Sorry, for my poor english.

No problem, hope it helps