[open-cobol-list] Information hiding

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Information hiding
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 01:10:34 -0500

Hi Everyone

I am studying Cobol everyday and making progress. I do have a question about information hiding though.

In most languages I have encountered there is some sort of associative array. If we have arrays foo and boo they could both have a key doo. doo is local to the array. In Cobol it looks like everything in the working storage section is global. I realize that with foo.doo and boo.doo there are not really two doo variables as they are part of a larger structure but for simplicity sake, we could sort of think of them as two variables. Is it possible to create this in Cobol?

I could imagine needing to use the same name twice. I thought that the 05 tagged variables were local to their 01 parent but it now seems that they are sort of tethered together with it but also global.

Thanks for reading, hope this email was clear, I am pretty sleepy-Patrick