Re: [open-cobol-list] 60 character identifiers

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] 60 character identifiers
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:59:13 -0400

Hi Vince

The change in the allowable length is part of the Cobol 2002 standard.

Please see here:

http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jni/courses/ProgrammignInCobol/presentation/ch02.ppt

Please go to slide 32 of 35

I have written a bit of OO in several languages and all I have ever used was singleton classes. I don't really think I need full blown objection orientation. Cobol 85 already has facilities for code reuse and code layouts that allow code to be private or public. I would however like to use naming conventions that show relationships and I am worried I will run out of space with 30 characters.

Thanks for responding to my post-Patrick