Re: [open-cobol-list] Sections in PROCEDURE DIVISION

From: Leonardo Epifani
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Sections in PROCEDURE DIVISION
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:37:34 +0100

Il 14/03/2013 15:44, vince ha scritto:
On Thursday 14 Mar 2013 09:14:28 john Culleton wrote:
The OC COBOL Manual written by Gary Cutler is so good that I hesitate
to mention one omission. Most of us don't use sections in the PROCEDURE
DIVISION any more, if we ever did. But there are still older programs
around that used that construct. Gary mentions them only in connection
with the SORT verb. The construct deserves a separate mention.
Well here is one programmer that does use Sections within Cobol programs.
Performing Sections is more efficient then paragraphs with 'thru' in most
implementations.

and here is another who does use them.

For what I can remember, we always used them.
In the old days, we had to use them for memory handling reasons (MF L2 environment).
But, apart of this, I think that using sections makes programs even more readable and clear