Re: [open-cobol-list] OC compiled for 64 bit?

From: Peter Klosky
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OC compiled for 64 bit?
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 06:25:06 -0700 (PDT)

Vincent,

I've compiled OC in 64 bit mode on Solaris x64.  So far, works great on that platform.  Only needed one or two tweaks to the compiler source.  While I do not have a precise, step-by-step guide for your particular host, I do have some suggestions, which follow.

1.  The "file" utility can be a help to show if the .o files produced from your compiler are 32 or 54 bit ones.  An example is below.

2.  In addition to the compiler, you may also need to examine the libraries it requires, to make sure they are 64 bit.

3.  If you can send evidence in the form of test which you cut/paste, that can help us see how far you have gotten.

best,

Peter

$ file rfmove.o rfprocess
rfmove.o:       ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable AMD64 Version 1
rfprocess:      ELF 64-bit LSB executable AMD64 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
address@hidden:/export/home/marc/src/rf
$ which cobc
/usr/bin/cobc
address@hidden:/export/home/marc/src/rf
$ file /usr/bin/cobc
/usr/bin/cobc:  ELF 64-bit LSB executable AMD64 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging information available
address@hidden:/export/home/marc/src/rf
$