Re: [open-cobol-list] I want to create community code, not another islan

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] I want to create community code, not another island
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:15:05 -0400

Hi Brian

Thanks again for all your help !

Do you think that the upcoming 2.0 release will change the existing codebase very much? Do you anticipate it being more additive then revolutionary?

I finally figured out how to use ctags properly today and it is helping so very much. If I can get an hour to myself per day I bet I will understand the codebase in a few weeks or months.

I did look at call.c and I am now looking at the cobc generated C to see how cobol is transformed into c.

it might be neat to write libraries in hybrid c/cobol, C but using the open Cobol API. I could then make code that is callable from cobol, has cobol goodness baked in and is easy to mix with c/c++ libraries and c/c++ types(along with extern "c".

Already the argument passing scheme in c is not what I thought it would be and it's got me thinking about ways to use it for easier c bindings. There is a call stack but there is also a module stack which has me thinking about how to merge the module stack with C++ methods for use with gui toolkits

All the best-Patrick