Re: [open-cobol-list] How does Cobol parse the Procedure Division ?

From: Dave Stratford
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] How does Cobol parse the Procedure Division ?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:58:04 +0100 (BST)

Wim Niemans wrote:

> A "normal" compiler should issue a warning that you have not reachable
> code after a goto.
> In this case there is a independent sentence saying "GO TO C-020.".
>
> That having said, I would be terribly interested in a parser for the data
> division. It is of incredible use to me.

Found it!

Here's the prog. It was actually designed as a 'Quality checker' to ensure
the code we wrote conformed to the clients coding standards. Some of those
standards were pretty good, others were appaling, but they were what we
had to work with.

Points to note:

3 people wrote it, so there are 3 slightly different coding styles.
I wrote the data division processing, Dunc wrote the procedure division
processing, and Moggs wrote the processing for the first two divisions
plus most of the glue stuff.

It's written in ICL VME cobol 74: ICL C2.141.7, and is designed, for the
most part, to be able to validate itself. (It passes for the most part).

The code it's designed to validate is also for the ICL VME system

ICL cobol has its own minor variations on the cobol 74 standard which
means it doesn't compile immediately under open cobol.

I for one would like to see some of those extensions/variations make their
way into open cobol.

Everyone please enjoy.

Dave