RE: UML cooperation

From: Micheal J
Subject: RE: UML cooperation
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:41:00 +0100

Whassuppp,

True, true...

| <snip>
|
| Granted, RR present incantation's ability are far from a flawless
| implementation of this vision (it only generates skeletal source
| code, for one, no executable), but it is gradually improving,
| definitely moving in that direction. Perhaps this wouldn't be
| such a farfetched idea for the open sorce community to also start
| looking in this direction, maybe put some resources in this
| potential upcoming battle (from my point of view). And possibly a
| major one, if the implications sketched in this message
| materialize (for example, expect Microsoft to buy Rational,Inc
| and integrate Rose into VisualStudio, if the dev paradigm
| described here starts to get serious momentum ... or if they read
| this e-mail - ha, ha; like with the internet, MS won't see it
| coming, but once it focusses its formidable resources on
| something, watch out for bodies falling; just read that they
| bought a third of Corel, a war trophy, no doubt).

Actually MS has always included Visual Modeller - a *very* cut-down version
of Rational Rose - in Visual Studio plus they developed the MS Repoitory as
a tool-neutral repository for development models and related information
resources.

MS also owns Visio and it's very impressive diagramming technology. I doubt
if MS needs to buy Rational. It can if it wanted release (an hopefully
superior product) a UML toolkit based on Visio, MS Repository and UML. MS
was also a major player in the definition of UML.

| But coming back to Dia vs. RR, it's more than the drawing ...
|
| So I guess that's my opinion on the subject.
| Vio

I agree but I'm not even going to try and convince the GNUe hardcore. As
long as DIA can generate XMI files then interchange isn't going to be a
problem, if it can't then I guess it is just used as a diagramming program
and nothing else...

Micheal