Re: Need more detail.

From: James Thompson
Subject: Re: Need more detail.
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:51:40 -0500 (CDT)

> >From a technical point of view, this sounds fine and well. But from a
> business point of view, this sounds pretty low level, if I may say so.
> As a business manager I would like to know how do I model business
> processes in this environment ?  By sticking business objects together
> ?  Hence the need for predefined business objects (a la IBM's
> SanFrancisco package) ? Any graphical interface for this task (a Dia
> front, I presume) would be a blessing, unless business managers want
> to learn how to write .cld scripts (???)

At this stage of the game....you, as a manager, dont.  Graphical tools are
nice.  They also take time to code.  I can count the number of serious and
currently active contributors on my fingers with plenty of fingers left
over :)  Thats a very small number of people spread out over a very large
number of tasks.  The majority of us are doing this in our spare time
after we're done w/ our "real jobs"  Just give us time and you'll get nice
GUI tools to do some of the tedious tasks.  Right now we're trying to
build the guts of the system first so that can get a good shakedown while
the GUI tools are being crafted.

So, the upcomming 0.1.0 release of geas and gnuef will very much be tools
for technical users.  I expect the distant 1.0 releases to be much more
friendly to the less technical user.

> Obviously I don't have all the data at my disposal, but I don't get it
> (some help would be nice) ! Why the developpement of a new file format
> (.cld) for what, at first impression, looks to me like normal class
> definitions, with the addition of "triggers" (like database triggers
> ?) hereby called "business objects". Couldn't those fit just as well
> in normal .py files ?

Two new file formats actually. :)  One for gnuef and one for geas.  They
exist because there wasn't a standard format available that did what we
required.  Others are welcome to add support for additional file formats,
however I think most of us are pushing right now to become feature
complete and stable.  Coding replacements for what is working well enough
for us now isn't too high on the ever growing TODO lists :)

As far as them being .py (python) files.  I suppose a person could do that
then use the python parser to process them.  An interesting idea.

Take Care,
James

James Thompson    138 Cardwell Hall  Manhattan, Ks   66506    785-532-0561
Kansas State University                          Department of Mathematics