Re: [gnugo-devel] reading connections

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] reading connections
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:02:22 -0700

> No, but it's possible to write a program which feeds the gtp commands
> one at a time and measures the time spent on each. Appended is a pike
> script I've written which gives quite a bit more information than the
> standard regression scripts do, including timing info. To run it you
> need to have a pike interpreter installed, available from
> http://pike.roxen.com. Give it a test suite file as parameter. Sorry,
> no documentation provided, but feel free to ask if something is
> unclear.

It would be simple to add timing commands to play_gtp.c.
These would require that a timer be explicitly started
and later checked so the gtp command file would have to
contain these commands.

There is another way this could be done without having
to insert these commands into the file but it would
require modifying gtp.c. There would be a ``timer mode''
in which the time for each command would be written to
stderr.

Neither of these would be hard to implement. The second
might be deprecated because we try not to change gtp.c
too much. It is the X11 licensed file. I would guess Gunnar's
Pike script is intended to circumvent this problem.

Dan