[gnugo-devel] readconnect

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: [gnugo-devel] readconnect
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 06:29:38 -0800

Hi Tristan,

A couple of things about readconnect.c.

I think it would be good if we try to get this functional
as soon as possible.  At the moment you are the only one
that really understands the code. I think as soon as
Gunnar and I understand the code well enough to work on it
it will improve quickly.

We are studying your papers (now linked from devel.html)
but there is also the matter of documenting the code. Perhaps
this is what is most urgently needed.

If you were to give us ascii documentation we would take
responsibility for converting it into Texinfo and putting
it into the doc.

In addition to the Texinfo documentation, nearly all GNU
Go functions are prefaced by comments describing what
they do. These comments are missing from readconnect.c.
I think it would be helpful if you could add them.

We'd like to be able to detect situations when connection
depends on ko. The usual reading algorithms have 4 return
values, which in numerical order are WIN > KO_A > KO_B > 0
(=LOSE). I presume that the Abstract Proof search
algorithm, like alpha/beta, is not restricted to AND/OR
trees but can take more general truth values. Is this
correct? How hard will it be to retrofit ko awareness into
your algorithms?

Dan