[gnugo-devel] set_depth_values()

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] set_depth_values()
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:03:59 +0200 (CEST)

I just wanted to add some semeai depth values/node limit to
set_depth_values in utils.c, but I don't get what this complicated code
is trying to do. And frankly, I don't think I am the first one who doesn't.

Apart from atari-atari, the depth settings are exactly identical for
levels 10 and 9.
Levels 7 and 8 are identical apart from the setting of owl_node_limit.
As this has a rather moderate jump from 450 to 400, whereas in the next
step to level 6 it drops to 325, I can't see why this should make sense.

Given that the existing code probably doesn't do what it wants to do,
shouldn't we just use
..._depth = ..._DEPTH * level / 10
and
..._node_limit = ..._NODE_LIMIT * pow(1.5, level - 10)
and be done with it?

This would have the advantage of being understandable, and I doubt it
would give worse results than the current code.

Arend