[gnugo-devel] tweaking strength

From: Jeff Brown
Subject: [gnugo-devel] tweaking strength
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:49:10 -0500

I have read the man page, docs and browsed the source code a bit and have not been able to answer my own questions. I hope that one of you will be willing to spend a few minutes to help me out.

I am new to GO and am quickly becoming addicted. I am running GNU Go 3.2 on Linux and I am using gGo (ggo.sourceforge.net) as a GUI front end. The gGo UI allows for arbitrary command line arguments to be typed in the ui that will eventually be passed on to GNU Go. I want to add components to the ui to tweak the "strength" of the GNU Go player to make it easier for the user to do compared to typing in command line params. There are so many depth settings, I am not sure which ones I am after...

--depth
--backfill-depth
--fourlib-depth
--ko-depth
--branch-depth
--backfill2-depth
--superstring-depth
--aa-depth
--level

Can you help me identify which settings make the most sense in terms of being able to dumb down GNU Go for beginners and then stiffen GNU Go up as the person's skill advances? Knowing default, minimum and maximum values for these would be useful as well.

I appreciate your time.

Thank you.

Jeff

--