Re: [gnugo-devel] Post 3.4 cleaning

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Post 3.4 cleaning
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:44:38 +0000

Gunnar wrote:
> In order to keep the sources maintainable (and accessible to
> newcomers) it is necessary to regularly clean out obsoleted and
> otherwise unused code. Currently there's quite a lot of code which is
> no longer of much interest. I propose to remove the following pieces
> of code, but not until after GNU Go 3.4 is out. Some of them might be
> somewhat controversial, so please tell if you disagree about them.

i certainly agree with the paragraph above and with the list of
obsolete code Gunnar created.  i would add another item, though.

* prerotated dfas.  although that is relatively new code, it has
  never been used and is extremely unlikely to ever be used at all.
  prerotated dfas are *huge*.  with the (no longer) experimental
  builder i managed to build such a dfa for owl_defendpats.db. it
  took over a minute to build and was about 35-40 megabytes.  and
  it cannot be optimized with iterational optimizer in principle.

  in addition, support for pre rotated dfas requires nasty extra
  code in do_dfa_matchpat() and already overbloated mkpat.c.

Paul

p.s. i hope my removal of old code in board.c was approved :)