Re: [gnugo-devel] regression makefile

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] regression makefile
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:25:15 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Gunnar Farneback wrote:

> In regression/Makefile.am about 260 lines are spent on make targets
> of the form
>
> 13x13: 13x13.tst
>       env RD=$(srcdir) $(srcdir)/eval.sh $^ $(GG_OPTIONS)
>
> This means that you can write
>
> make 13x13
>
> to get the effect of
>
> ./eval.sh 13x13.tst
>
> What I wonder is whether anybody ever uses this. Considering that
> spelling it out is marginally more typing (assuming auto-completion in
> the shell) and that you (if you have Pike installed) can get a nicer
> report from "./regress.pike 13x13", it doesn't seem worth the trouble
> to add these lines to Makefile.am for every new test suite.
>
> Unless someone still uses it, I propose that we remove these make
> targets.

I use them, but would not object if they were taken out.  They're handy,
because assuming intelligent auto-completion in the shell they save typing
;) (using the programmable tab completion scripts available from the
bash-completion projects, bash will complete on make targets.  If you're
running debian, you can enable it by uncommenting some stuff in
/etc/bash.bashrc.

Evan Daniel