RE: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs

From: Portela Fernando
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 19:35:03 +0100

Hi,

Paul wrote:
> He's using TCP/IP sockets.  However, he claims that under Windows one
> cannot use sockets just like every other file.  You have to use recv()
> and send() or something.

To be precise, the faulty thing is the MSVC++ C Runtime Library, not
really the OS. The OS primitives like ReadFile() and WriteFile() are
documented as working on sockets returned by WinSock2's accept() for
instance. But the MS CRT lacks support for such kind of things and
it's most likely unsolvable, as already mentioned.

I'm almost sure a cygwin or a mingw build on Win32 won't have the
problem, as long as it doesn't use MS CRT library.
Unfortunately, VC is the only option for PocketPCs (or ?)

-- nando