Re: [gnugo-devel] Temperature in Go

From: Alain Baeckeroot
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Temperature in Go
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:35:31 +0000

Le Lundi 24 Janvier 2005 12:46, Alain Baeckeroot a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I was wondering about Temperature/Entropy/Potential Energy/Complexity
> in Go.
>
> For strategic reasons, i thinks something like Temperature can help to
> find "hot point" .... and tell that to the strategic module ....
> and that can solve some simple strategic pbs.
>
> Is there any such thing in GNU Go , or some references about that?

Well, i googled and find only 2 ref, so i think i have to do it myself ;)

I find analogies between Go game and fluid dynamics :
 -if we push on one side,
 - the group goes on the other side, and his physical shape is modified, (like
a fluid).
 - or the volume is reduced, so pressure rise and temperature also, (like a
fluid).
 - a group under pressure, spread when arriving in open space, the pressure drop
 and the Temperature drop (like a fluid ;)
 -when we mix 2 groups, there is a reaction, sometimes explosions ...
 -Pressure depends on the number of atoms in a volume, and of their agitation

So i try to define some kind of state variables like for fluid, hopping
to have a formulae to calculate a temperature :
 P.V= n.R.T  (R constant, n number of atoms, V volum, P pressure, T temp)

Alike we can probably define some other state variables: Entropy, Potential
Energy
that are certainly uselfull for strategy :
 - when it is hot and there is a lot of potential energy ... it can explode and
destroy all
 =   a big fight can win/lose the game but its dangerous.

It will not be very precise, i think i need a 3x3 to 5x5 mask for local
Temperature
(we are out of equilibrium, so those thermodynamical variables are local)

For the moment i ve written some pages, and use 2 joseki to analyse the
situation:
Avalanche joseki are thermodynamically different from peacefull corner approach
joseki,
 i think at least i will detect that ;)

Any comment is welcome.
Regards