Re: [gnugo-devel] cache size vs level ?

From: alain Baeckeroot
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] cache size vs level ?
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:10:50 +0200

Le Dimanche 28 Mai 2006 22:22, Gunnar Farneb�ck a écrit :
> Alain wrote:
> > I was not able to know which cache size is appropriate with an increased
> > level, and used a paranoid -M 128 for 9x9 tournament (at level 16).
>
> I don't think there's much reason to change the cache size with the
> level. The default cache size is probably good enough.
>
> /Gunnar

So i don't understand something (one more :)
I thought (naively) that high levels (15-16) makes gozillions readings
so it would need gozillions bits of cache.

For example genmove at level 16 of gnu-crazy-eternal.sgf gives
1 billion call to do_play_move,
1 billion tt_update
1 billion tt_get
so if we cache everything i expect cache_use = O(10^9 unit) (probably
less if some position is already hashed)

I remember that at level 10, 1M is large enough, 100k also.

Is there a way to "watermark" the maximum cache use, or to calculate
an estimation of needed cache size?

Alain