Re: [gnugo-devel] Revise TODO?

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Revise TODO?
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:25:07 -0700

I agree with almost everything you wrote, except:

>  * GNU Go does not have a move generator that tries explicitly to
>    build moyos, or reduce/invade opponent's moyos. Such a move
>    generator could be built using the same type of code that is used
>    in the owl life and death reader, or the connection reader
>    mentioned in point 5 above.
>
> I think the break-in code covers this item, so it's already done.

Aside from the fact that the break-in code has substantial room for
improvement, I think the break-in code mostly addresses breaking into
territory, not moyos. Strategic handling of moyos in GNU Go certainly
needs some improvement (even though it is not that urgent): We don't
have a mechanism to find invasion or reduction moves, and there are
also some type of moves that finish enclosing a moyo which may be missed
by our patterns, and might not be evaluated well anyway.
(The comment about the connection reader above is certainly outdated,
though.)

All this is very important for improving GNU Go from 1k to 1d :)

Arend