[gnugo-devel] Re: Open source real time Go server

From: Dave Dyer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: Open source real time Go server
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 02:34:52 -0800

>  (i) IGS is derivation of NNGS, which is free software (GPLv2)! It has
>even seen some slight development in past few years.

I don't think that's correct - NNGS was a functional copy of IGS created
by duplicating the published (telnet based) interfaces.  It eventually
was open sourced before it died.

>  (ii) NNGS might be used as possible base of a modern go server. The
>obvious advantage is that _right now_ you have something that you can
>(in theory) compile, start, connect to and chat and play go on (!) and
>you can evolve things from here.

NNGS is alive and well as software, but no one is actively running
a copy for human use as far as I know.  Boardspace is still running
a completely ignored copy, intended to be used by robots.
http://boardspace.net/nngs/
 If one wanted to develop a client for the blind, you could certainly
start with a NNGS clone as your target server, and one of the open
source IGS clients as your client.