Re: [GNU Herds]: Localization

From: Nickolay V. Shmyrev
Subject: Re: [GNU Herds]: Localization
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:27:43 +0300 (MSK)

>Nickolay wrote:
>> btw, why don't you using iso translation codes?
>
>Nickolay, I am not sure if I have understood you rightly.
>

>  The project uses the UTF-8 Unicode encoding. It is said
>  to be the way to go. It seems to work well.
>
>Davi

No, I am talking about iso-codes package. It is used in projects that require
translation of languages (iso-646), countries and similar information. You
should use iso-codes domain for translation of such strings instead of
including them into your domain. This way you'll save around 300 messages
marked for translation out of 1000 and you'll automatically get the translation
for many languages.

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-isocodes/

Here is for example Totem Video Player code using iso-codes:

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/totem/trunk/src/totem-menu.c?revision=3971&view=markup

Basically you need:

        bindtextdomain ("iso_639", ISO_CODES_LOCALESDIR);
        bind_textdomain_codeset ("iso_639", "UTF-8");

and later

        return dgettext ("iso_639", lang_name);