Re: Improving the JobOffer view

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: Improving the JobOffer view
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:46:29 +0100

On 10/28/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Victor Engmark wrote!
> - I'd use "Camel Case" or "Sentence case" for the headings - It's
>   faster to read than UPPER CASE, IIRC.

I have changed the upper case to "Camel Case".

This is something which should be done in CSS.

> - We should use internationally acknowledged currency symbols /
>   abbreviations for the salary, with an <abbr> tag for the full name.
>   I think most people can recognize currencies quite quickly like that.

About how currencies are exposed,
  * that would require the development of new logic.

IMO, currencies should be stored in a separate table, to be referred by the standard abbreviation. That way, we could easily change the display at will. Different displays are probably appropriate for different parts of the site; e.g., tables of lots of offers should probably use the abbreviation to save space, while the print CSS could put the long name in parentheses after the abbreviation, for clarity, with :after.

> - A strange idea for the salary: How about making the number into a
>   link to a currency converter, so people can easily find out how much
>   the payment is in whatever currency they're used to? Something like
>   100CHF</a>, so that the form is pre-filled when the user gets to the
>   page.

Great idea!

We have just to look for such converter.
  task: http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7415

Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=100+CHF+in+USD
Yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=100&from=USD&to=JPY&submit=Convert
XE: http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=100&From=EUR&To=USD

Another small thing: How about moving the employer type to the heading, and using "Name" instead. I.e., heading like "Employer (person)", and "Name: Crossland , Dave"? For any other employer types than "Person", we could then use just the type, i.e., "Company" or "Organization". It should be fairly obvious from the context that "Company" or "Organization" is the employer (not so much with "Person"), without pointing it out. I guess it's a matter of brevity vs. clarity. What do you think?

--
Victor Engmark