gnulib-tool-py

Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Some other variables

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Some other variables
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 13:06:58 +0200

Hello Dmitriy,

> macro_prefix: for --import mode it is being set to 'gl'; for other modes it
> is being gotten from cache, but what happens if we don't have it inside the
> cache file?

For the --create-testdir mode, it's set to 'gl'.
For the --import mode, which is meant to not look at gnulib-cache.m4,
the default value is 'gl'.
For the --add-import, --remove-import, --update modes:
  - If no previous gnulib-cache.m4 exists, the default value is 'gl' as well.
  - If a previous gnulib-cache.m4 exists, we take the default value from there
    and complain if there is none (line 4406).

This is the logic in gnulib-tool lines 6302..6410.

> podomain (po_domain in original code): it seems to be a string type, but I
> can't find it's default value, which is used when cache contains nothing.

The default value is empty, with the meaning that there is no PO directory
being created in this case. Note that the options --po-domain and --po-base
go together, see lines 1334..1341.

> witness_c_macro: it seems to be a string type; the problem is the same as
> for podomain variable.

Default is empty. Meaning that no particular C macro gets defined during
the compilations in this directory.

> vc_files: I can only guess that it has list type, but I might be wrong.

Search for the string 'vc_files='. You'll find that the values are true,
false, and '' (empty). Regarding gnulib-cache.m4, empty is neutral, whereas
in func_import, empty is treated like true. The default is empty.

Bruno