gnulib-tool-py

[gnulib-tool-py] Separate classes into different packages

From: Dmitriy Selyutin
Subject: [gnulib-tool-py] Separate classes into different packages
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 00:24:59 +0400

Hello everyone.

I've recently noticed that it becomes hard to find code which needs editing.
What do you think if I'll separate each class into standalone script? Here is
the proposed hierarchy:

pygnulib/
    __init__.py
    constants.py
    classes.py
    GNULibMode.py
    GNULibImport.py
    GNULibModule.py
    GNULibTestDir.py
    GNULibMegaTestDir.py
    [ET CETERA]

Here is an example how it works:

# GNULibMode.py
from .constants import [necessary variables]

class GNULibMode(object):
  # Here is a body of GNULibMode with all methods

# GNULibMode.py
from .constants import [necessary variables]
from .GNULibMode import GNULibMode

class GNULibModule(GNULibMode):
  # Here is a body of GNULibModule with all methods

# GNULibImport.py
from .constants import [necessary variables]
from .GNULibMode import GNULibMode
from .GNULibModule import GNULibModule

class GNULibImport(GNULibMode):
  # Here is a body of GNULibImport with all methods

# classes.py
from .constants import [necessary variables]
from .GNULibMode import GNULibMode
from .GNULibModule import GNULibModule
from .GNULibTestDir import GNULibTestDir
[ET CETERA]

The one negative (or positive?) effect is that user either can use
  from pygnulib.classes import GNULibMode
or
  from pygnulib.GNULibMode import GNULibMode
directive, but I think it is not a problem.

The another reason why we could follow this way is that we can improve the
portability of the pygnulib. What do you think? I would be very glad if we
could split the source code of the each class into standalone script, it could
certainly help to make things quicker.