gnulib-tool-py

Re: [gnulib-tool-py] GLModule improvement

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [gnulib-tool-py] GLModule improvement
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:19:30 +0200

Hi Dmitriy,

> Today I've got a new idea how we could improve this module. We can add
> file-like interface to it by implementing new attributes.
>
> path: the same as before.
> mode: can be 'r' or 'w', where the first means that we read existing file,
> the second means that we write (i.e. create) new file.

This is not needed. Gnulib modules are created on disk, by developers,
using tools like 'emacs' or 'kate'. gnulib-tool does not create modules.
For the purpose of gnulib-tool, a module is a read-only entity.

> For read mode there are only get* methods available. For write mode there
> are all methods available.
>
> That means that developers can check whether module exists using
> GandLModuleSystem, and if not, create it from zero using couple of
> set* methods, then using addFiles method to add .c and .h files and
> then applying save method.

This may be a good idea after 20 August, if someone can imagine a use-case
for creating a module through a program rather than by hand. For now, for
gnulib-tool, it would be dead code.

Bruno