Re: [Gnumed-devel] database abstraction

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] database abstraction
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:33:08 +1000

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:32, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> (There is another case in which PgObject will be problematic: if SELECT's
> using LIKE or regular expressions are used, indexes to an object entry
> ala drug.['digi.*'] might fail.)

gmPgObject is an abstraction layer of data, not of database capabilities. It
is not designed for *searching*.
You perform your search by any means you fancy, and once you have identified
the row you wish to work on, you tell gmPgObject.

I don't think that it is realistic to create highly abstract wrappers around
such search functionality; I think SQL is abstract enough ;-)))
The reason is that in searches we are potentially handling large amounts of
data, from which most will never be accessed. Would be a humongous waste of
performance and ressources building complex object hierarchies around such
queries.

That said, you still can do it - gmPgObject would then just be the lowest base
class of the rows you abstract.

Horst