Re: [Gnumed-devel] Where to start with gnumed

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Where to start with gnumed
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:11:57 +0100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:24 am, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > 1.) The *interface* used in the GUI should be the XML-RPC one.
>
> This aggregation I don't understand.

What of "just do it" don't you understand ;-))))
What I mean is that the XML-RPC API should be the only API GUI client modules
use. Otherwise, we lose all the advantages of doing it if we don't use it
always, consistently.

> > 2.) choice of parameters / data types is important with hindsight to
> > making the XML RPC protocol efficient.
>
> Pointers as to what I need to be aware of ?

Pointers given in URLs of my last post to the list (XML-RPC HowTo), especially
http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlrpc-howto/xmlrpc-howto-types.html

> > Thus, eat your heart out implementing whatever you want, but
> > - think of adequate data types suitable for XMLRPC
>
> Which ones are ?
http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlrpc-howto/xmlrpc-howto-types.html

Example: Integers, reals and strings are always safe. Lists and dictionaries
should be too. Complex objects are not safe, unless you implement an XML
marshall yourself.

Horst