Re: [Gnumed-devel] 5 fulltime pre-graduating software engineering studen

From: John Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] 5 fulltime pre-graduating software engineering students
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:18:09 +1000

> I should think we should make fri**in' damn sure we won't have
> trouble in the way that suddenly RMIT starts to think "Gee,
> this is one darn nice thingy them students of us worked on.
> Let's go screw 'em and start selling this little cutie to all
> those GPs out there."

These are aspects which were recently disussed with Horst.
My understanding of open source GPL'd projects is that
no-one and no entity "owns" the project, or can claim any
royalties for the sale of the product.

> Do RMIT students have the power to "donate" "their" IP
> to a GPL project ? I should certainly like to know.
>
> Karsten

Yes, RMIT students can contribute their expertise to
anything they want.  But if they want that work to be
recognised by the Uni as work done towards
obtaining their degree(s), then the work needs to be
approved by the Uni, and a Uni supervisor monitors
the work to ensure that it fulfills required criteria.

As such, the standing Uni-student agreement is that
the Uni becomes the owner of the intellectual property
of that project work, BUT the only benefit to the Uni
when students contribute to GPLd projects is that the
Uni can claim (rightfully) that they have been
contributors to the project.

I feel grateful that RMIT have accepted GnuMed as
the 3-semester project for the student group.

John Mac