Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed summer programming and google sponsor

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed summer programming and google sponsor
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:19:20 -0700

At 1:43 AM +0200 6/1/05, Carlos Moro wrote:
Should it be useful for GNUmed? A bit of spread its existence, opportunity to get some people involved, and ... mini/big projects and roadmap evolution? ;)

Well, I do like the idea and wonder

  i) who is in a position to serve as mentor
 ii) what project "part" might we most like to have moved forward
iii) which student type(s) we might most like to attract

Mentoring:
- If no-one feels in a position to mentor, it is a non-starter. Dunno whether by submitting it, Carlos is willing to stand in this role. If there are more than one interested, maybe the work of the role could be shared (even though Google may require one person's name to stand officially in the role).

Project component and logistics:

- We would need a definable project component whose amount of work involved would be roughly appropriate for the funding, and able to be done during the time frame (summer)

- As components I would think that more work towards the importing and management of lab results or drug prescribing could be most useful strategically; as a side-alternative a student might be asked to help work on drug-ref getting it more ready for wider adoption and helping with documentation although I don't know if Horst is in a position to serve as mentor

- the student's work must be complete by August 31 and yet by this time Google will have granted only an initial funding cheque of $500 plus at our option (if we are satisfied with progress) only a "middle cheque" in an amount of ~$2250 with the balance ($2250) being withheld until after October 1st. If it is possible that the student could really use the balance earlier (e.g. to pay tuition) then we could consider fronting that $2250 if it be possible to get Google to remit the balance to us

- if we can tie the lab portion into the anticoagulation clinic project I can contribute from that fund e.g. to front the early final cheque

Student type(s):
- a medical student with interest and suitable ability at coding or
- some other student (like an IT program student, maybe in a health informatics program) with a *highly* suitable coding ability plus interest in medical informatics - do we have among current gnumed developers anyone with student status who would be interested in being supported by the google Summer of Code?