Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some unhandled exceptions, also console output

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some unhandled exceptions, also console output
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:30:47 +0200

Am Dienstag 29 Juni 2010, 07:10:48 schrieb Jim Busser:
> 1) unhandled exceptions
>
> I generated two reports (as jim @ ca) to gnumed-bugs. If those could be
> consulted, I assume that they reflect excess inactivity,

Inactivity should not let you connection go away (unless I am wrong). I guess
only if the connection is lost due to network problems (did you connect to the
public database) problems could surface.

> and I just
> wondered whether such errors (or a subset thereof) -- if identifiable with
> some confidence --could in future be more cleanly "trapped" and presented
> to the user as a dialog that says:
>
>       While you were last working on patient <name>, your database connection
> timed out. This GNUmed session is now expired.

There is no such thing as a session unless I am totally mistaken. Let's see
what Karsten has to say about that.

>       <ok button>

> 2) Console output.
>
> i) the MimeWriter module notice... is this likely to be Mac specific or
> upstream?... is it anything the end user should try to attend to?

Nothing to be done for the enduser. The message only tells the developer that
future versions of python will not have this module any more and they should
consider switching to the replacement as stated.

> ii) DISPATCHER WARNINGS ... do those arise from some default configuration
> of GNUmed? Is it intentional that those signals are being looked-for by
> default?

That is perfectly normal.

> iii) Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display
> "/tmp/launch-nf7uqn/org.x:0".   ... anything to do?

It just tells you that from your X11/video driver/BSD-subsystem RANDR is
missing which will prevent you from stuff like resizing or ratating your
screen from within X11 (you can still do that from MacOS if you want). This is
harmless. However your GNUmed runs on GTK on X11. There is also wxpython which
uses the Mac user interface like round buttons and blueish tabs in GNUmed.

It has something to do with the options in MacPort. You could check if
wxpyhton in MacPorts lets you select options which lead to the Macish user
interface instead of the X11 one.

See this for comparison
http://www.gnumed.de/promotion/graphics/GNUmedOsirix.jpg

> Adjusting PYTHONPATH ...
> /Users/djb/gnumed-client.0.7.6/Gnumed/pycommon/gmTools.py:11:
> DeprecationWarning: the MimeWriter module is deprecated; use the email
> package instead import urllib2 as wget, decimal, StringIO, MimeWriter,
> mimetypes, mimetools

that is ok

> DISPATCHER WARNING: connect(): unknown signal
> [test_result_mod_db] DISPATCHER WARNING: connect(): unknown signal
> [substance_intake_mod_db]

that as well

> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display

see above

> | Unhandled exception caught !
> | Type : <class 'psycopg2.InterfaceError'>
> | Value: connection already closed

psycopg2 lost connection. Public database ?
same could happen when PG goes down for maintenance but we have a feature to
push a notification to all client if we intend to kill the connection.

> `========================================================
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "gnumed.py", line 532, in <module>
>     shutdown_backend()
>   File "gnumed.py", line 461, in shutdown_backend
>     gmPG2.shutdown()
>   File "/Users/djb/gnumed-client.0.7.6/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG2.py", line
> 1339, in shutdown __ro_conn_pool.shutdown()
>   File "/Users/djb/gnumed-client.0.7.6/Gnumed/pycommon/gmPG2.py", line
> 1167, in shutdown _log.debug('closing pooled database connection, pool
> key: %s, backend PID: %s', conn_key,
> self._used[conn_key].get_backend_pid()) psycopg2.InterfaceError:
> connection already closed

See above.

Sebastian