gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] about the gomd+libgomd

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] about the gomd+libgomd
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:40:33 +0000

Hi from Matt,

On Donnerstag, 6. März 2003 00:14, Ramon Pons Vivanco wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:43:42 +0000, Matthias Rechenburg wrote:
> > So there will be no method for "get-clusterload" in the gomd but in the
> > libgomd and (to my mind) no "inter-node communication" is really needed.
>
> That's right. We have to bind to a port to allow clients[1] comunication.
> For that we need to create a socket and bind to the port. Libcommoncpp do
> this socket+bind. But when you are creating the socket, you have to say
> the type. That is SOCK_DGRAM => UDP
>
>      sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
>      bzero((char *) &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));
>      serv_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
>      serv_addr.sin_addr.s_addr = INADDR_ANY;
>      serv_addr.sin_port = htons(9889);
>      bind(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *) &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr);

ok, understood this ;)

> [1] clients: A client is for example openMosixView. Not gomd.
>
> right ?

right, and i think it should TCP to connect to each gomd on each node
using the methods we are providing in libgomd.

> > about the UDP:
> > is there a reason using UDP if we do not need an inter-nodes
> > communication ?
>
> Yes, to listen on a UDP port.

but why ? the client program (the program the developer created using
the libgomd methods) will (should) use TCP to connect to each gomd on the
clusternodes.
No need for a gomd->gomd communication using UDP (to my mind)
.... and again ;) if we really want (need) a gomd->gomd communication UDP
is a good idea. Do we need it ?
...... maybe as a second step after a "more simple" implementation ?!

about the IRC meeting:
i will try hard to be there on friday this week.
Maybe we have to find another weekly date to make it easier for Johnny
to join. We will see ..... and discuss.

all the best my friends,

Matt
--
E-mail  :  address@hidden
www     : http://www.openmosixview.com

If we have unlimited ability to think, why do we use computers?