gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] libgps?

From: Paul Fertser
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] libgps?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:29:18 +0300

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 02:29:44PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> My recipe for finding stuff that doesn't get cleaned up is to have a local
> clone that is pure, and then a working directory that is cloned from it.

Should be redudant as you have the sources managed by git already. To
bring your working copy to some specific commit you can:

# this will drop all your uncommitted changes
git reset --hard

# this will clean the directory; if you just want to see what would
# get cleaned, add -n
git clean -fdx

Doing this should bring you to the state fully equivalent to a fresh
clone + checkout of the commit that's set as your current HEAD.

An additional detail which might be useful is that usually (at least
that's the case for autotools, cmake and some other popular systems)
the build can be done completely out-of-tree:

$ mkdir gpsd; cd gpsd
$ git clone ...
$ cd ..
$ mkdir build; cd build
# if gpsd was using autoconf, then the next command would be this, I'm
# sure something similar should be available for scons too
$ ../gpsd/configure && make

HTH

PS: as a side note regarding the libtool discussion, I can share what
I gather from observing the OpenWrt GNU/Linux distribution. They have
plenty of different supported platforms [1] and all the packages get
cross-compiled. Cross-compilation is known to be a complicated case
for the build systems. The only reasonably common issue with
autotools-based (I mean autoconf+automake+libtool+pkg-config here)
packages is that they require something like "autoreconf -fi" (same
procedure for all the affected software) and that's it, pretty
painless.

[1] http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/grid
mailto:address@hidden