gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ubxtool and remote gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ubxtool and remote gpsd
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 14:26:15 -0700

Yo Ken!

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 07:35:27 -0600
Ken McGuire <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Nice.  Any feed back on those welcomoe.
>
> The F9x series is a game changer for the low cost high precision
> arena.

Yup.  I can easily get 1 cm accuracy with PPP.

> I've been working with Clive on several different board designs using
> those parts, for a while.

Ah. Good.  The sample F9T board I have from Clive works great for me.

> > Works for me.  But there were some fixes there last week.  Can
> > you confirm this with git head?
>
> The system is complicated by the fact that there are 2 different
> architecture devices running 2 different OSs, I originally thought
> the problem was with the OPi0 which runs gpsd. But after the nmap and
> nc tests showed that port 2947 was open I started looking at ubxtool
> and its support code on my desktop.

It always in the dark corners that the dust collects.  So keep at it.

> Here is what I've done since you replied, I'm not done testing, and
> won't have time to co much more today:

That all, except setp 5/6 looks good to me.

> 5 ran ./ubxtool 192.168.0.134 on my desktop and got: ubxtool: failed
> to connect to gpsd [Errno 111] Connection refused

I can no duplicate this with git head.  I can do both of these:
        ./ubxtool [ipv4]
        ./ubxtool [hostname]

So either your git is slighlty older than mine, or something we need to
find and fix.

That code was changed by:

commit e00c2bd65d95bd8d71077fa9147cdfd6b07504fd
Date:   Thu Jun 27 19:51:59 2019 -0700

So any test earlier than Friday is stale data.

> 6 at line 47 of client.py added:         print ('connect:', (host,
> port))

Which should be a NOP, except it breaks the port selection.

> 7 ran:
>
> ./ubxtool 192.168.0.134
> connect: ('127.0.0.1', '2947')
> ubxtool: failed to connect to gpsd [Errno 111] Connection refused

Odd.  I do not see how the before Friday code would have done that.

> and then:
>
> ./ubxtool 192.168.0.134:1234
> connect: ('127.0.0.1', '2947')
> ubxtool: failed to connect to gpsd [Errno 111] Connection refused

Doubly odd.  Can you confirm your UBXOPTS environment variable is
empty?

> 8 This leads me to believe that something is amuck with how ubxtool
> was dealing with the server:port parameter it is passed.

I agree, except I can't duplicate, nor do I see how the code before
the recent fix could fail that way.

What is your Python version?

RGDS
GARY