gpsd-dev

Re: master fails to build/check

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: master fails to build/check
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 16:40:48 -0800

Yo Ladislav!

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 01:11:59 +0100
Ladislav Michl <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I will not, sorry.
> >
> > Then please keep your thoughts that do not match facts private.
>
> I can only wish you'll take this line as a fact:
> arm-v7a-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -o pseudonmea.o -c -pthread -Wall
> -Wcast-align -Wextra -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wmissing-declarations
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-missing-field-initializers
> -Wno-uninitialized -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wvla -O2 -pthread
> -I/home/ladis/src/C-ITS.Devices.O2.Firmware/platform-imx6/sysroot-target/usr/include/dbus-1.0
> -I/home/ladis/src/C-ITS.Devices.O2.Firmware/platform-imx6/sysroot-target/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include
> -I/home/ladis/src/C-ITS.Devices.O2.Firmware/platform-imx6/sysroot-target/usr/include/libusb-1.0
> pseudonmea.c It comes from cross-compiling gpsd and as you can see,
> those dbus-1.0 and libusb-1.0 include paths were discovered using
> pkg-config.

I know pkg-config sometimes works, for some people.
That says nothing about pkg-config working for all people all the time.

I'm saying, as fact, that pkg-config does not work for all people all the
time.  Nice to have, do not count on it.  Works for you is nice for you.
Works for everyone is a good patch.

> > The code you mentioned was gated by env['systemd'].  Maybe
> > instead "env['systemd'] and env['target']"?
>
> And what if I still do want to install udev rules and systemd units?
> To the sysroot^H^H^H^H^H^H^H DESTDIR.

I saw nothing in your patch about install dir.  Feel free to open up
an email thread on that SINGLE issue.  So we can stop bouncing around,
settling on nothing.

> > > Or there are people out there wanting tickle host systemd while
> > > cross-compiling?
> >
> > Seriously?  Seems to me you are either buliding gpsd for the present
> > hot, or for a target host, but not both at the same time.  What is
> > the use case for that?
>
> Above, of course, was not meant seriously at all.

Irony does not work well in emails...  See Poe's Law.

> Check for 'target' is already used when skipping check for
> sizeof(time_t), so let's be consistent.

Yes, but the patch was not exactly that.

> Also, technically, --sysroot= can be passed even to native toolchain.

Of course.

> > You gotta have some way to separate out the stuff used by the host,
> > from stuff that is for the target.  There are other ways that scons
> > also uses.  Use what works for you.
>
> I have to admit current git is much better in terms of
> cross-compilation than 3.19 was.

And a lot more SConstruct work to be done this cycle.

> > So, instead of spending time bike shedding, do you have a real
> > problem here that needs solving?
>
> None of problems I have are "real".

Uh?  I prefer not to waste time on fantasy issues.  If it is not real to
you, why are you bringing it up?

> All of them can be solved more or
> less elegant way. I searched archives and found only rants and
> questions, but nothing even remotely describing people's cross-build
> environment.

Yup.  Which is why I keep asking you to decribe yours so that cycle
can end here and now.

> So, there is nothing to solve after all as those who asked before me
> either found a way and kept it private, or keep patching gpsd [*] or
> build only subset of options so they do not run into troubles.

Hmm, those all seem like solutions to me?  Please pick one.

> [*]
> https://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded/blob/master/meta-oe/recipes-navigation/gpsd/gpsd/0001-SConstruct-prefix-includepy-with-sysroot-and-drop-sy.patch

Some good ideas in there, some bad.  Certainly breaks normal builds.

Does that work for you?

> To be fair, this patch could be omited and situation solved with
> cross-python wrapper.

In the spirit you ask for, of providing answers for future cross-dev
people, care to elaborate?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588